Sunday, July 13, 2014

D is for Diorama

I thought I would go ahead a put together the base for the F-15.  The model is of a F-15 assigned to the 18th Wing based at Kadena Air Force Base on Okinawa.  So I looked at Kadena AFB on Google Maps and found a F-15 sitting on a hard-stand.


Using this as a starting point, I searched the web for a DIY tarmac section and found a great BoweModel blog article on building a basic WWII era concrete airfield diorama base here: http://bowemodels.blogspot.com/2013/05/technique-building-basic-wwii-era.html 
I used the techniques in this article modifying them as needed for the materials I had on hand around the house.  Also I was assisted by having a Verlinden 1/48 scale carton airfield tarmac section.  I was able to scale down to 1/144 scale from it.


Searching around the house I pulled together some acrylic craft paints, gray primer spray paint, an unused picture frame, and a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper.



I cut out the bottom of the F-15 box.  Drew on the 1/144 scale tarmac sections (3 mm x 3 mm) and used it to rough in the concrete section of the diorama.


Then I transferred the outline to the sheet of sandpaper and cut it out.



Following the directions in the BoweModels article, I drew in the concrete sections and numbered them.



Then cut them out.


I glued them onto the base using PVA (Elmer's Glue All) glue.  I started on the end that would be mating with the frame to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues later.  This was a little tedious, but it pays to pay attention to detail on getting a good spread of glue on each section to keep the edges from lifting ( I only had a couple) and tearing the pieces to add cracks was fun.



Next was painting the tarmac section with gray primer.





Then following the BoweModels article instructions, I painted texture and detail onto the sandpaper.  Note: I did brush paint more than the BoweModels article did ( I was having issues with using the craft paints in my airbrush).  I think if you didn't have an airbrush you could accomplish this just by brush painting if you were careful.


I didn't have any grass mat but used some model railroad turf and ballast.  I spread PVA glue, shook on the turf mix then used the fine ballast to cover gaps around the edge of the sandpaper.  I sealed the turf and ballast with some of my wife's hairspray ;-).



Once everything had dried a while, I carefully fitted the frame and base together.



Voila! a diorama ready for the F-15 once I finish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment