Monday, July 28, 2014

Eagle Day


Finished up the F-15 Eagle today.


Applied a wash of Dark Gull Gray mixed with a little Flat Black.  I'm not totally happy with the results but attribute the problems I had with it to my hasty decision to brush paint the Eagle which made the panel lines shallow in spots plus I think I waited too long to start removing excess wash after I had applied it.  But enough of my grousing.  I'm happy to have completed a model and tried some new techniques and diorama building for the first time.  Plus researching stuff online about Sparrow missiles, Kadena AFB, and the 18th Wing was fun and informative.


Once I got the wash applied and dry I loaded up the AIM-7 Sparrow missiles.




Some lessons learned:


  •  Don't be hasty and impatient.  It only causes problems and ends up added more time and effort to the build.
  •  Try to plan out exactly what you want to accomplish during the model build.  i.e. what new techniques you want to try.  Not having a good plan going in leads to snap decision making which can lead you to running down rabbit holes (wasting effort/time).
  • Don't get discouraged.  If you need to, take a break and regroup, then come back to the model with a better outlook.  Plus it gives you an opportunity to visit with your family and friends who haven't seen you since you've been tucked away model building;-).
More to come soon.  I've got to get out of the box I feel that i'm in on the LaGG.  The P-40 is coming along nicely as the inaugural finishing models already started project.

No comments:

Post a Comment